Gathering in a basic sewing technique which is used in many sewing project. This video and step-by-step instructions show how to gather using the basting method with two basting stitches.
- Set the sewing machine to the longest stitch length. This is called a basting stitch.
- Stitch a line of basting stitches where the seam line will be, making sure not to backtack at beginning or end of the row. Leave at least a 3" to 4" tail when you snip the threads.
- Sew another line of stitches 1/4" inside the seam allowance, parallel to the first row again making sure no to backtack at the beginning and end of the row.
- Take the top two threads you have sewn and carefully pull and push the fabric to create your gathers.
- Evenly distribute the gathers across the fabric
- Finish sewing your seam according to the pattern directions.