A fun way to recycle plastic grocery bags is to make a holiday wreath.
You can make this wreath for different holidays just by using different colored plastic bags.
This is a wonderful project for elementary to middle school aged kids. See the note below if doing this project with a group of kids.
It's also a great project on snowy or rainy days when trying to keep the kids busy indoors all day. Rainy and snowy days with kids cooped up can be stressful. But don't panic. It is easier than you think to keep them happy and entertained all day without electronic devices or apps. Our 60+ Indoor Home Activities and Crafts for Kids will help. Best of all, a lot of the craft activities can be made with everyday items you already have around the house.
Get started by watching the video and reading the instructions below:
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission on sales through the affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. Thank you in advance for your purchase and your support! Please see our full Affiliate
Statement for more information.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
Wire Clothes Hanger
Wire Cutter Pliers
Electrical Tape or Duct Tape
STEP 1: MAKING WIRE FORM
* Using the wire cutters, cut straight bottom part off the hanger.
* Bend the straight wire to form a circle by crossing over the wire ends and twisting the two ends together. You may need a plier to twist it. Don't worry if the circle is not perfect.
* After twisting, bend the twisted end down to form a hook and cover the hook with tape to prevent anyone from getting hurt on the hook.
STEP 2: MAKING PLASTIC BAG STRIPS
* Place a plastic bag on the work surface and flatten it. Fold the bag in half and then fold it in half again.
* With the scissor, cut off the bottom and handles of the bag.
* Then cut the bag into 1" wide strips.
* Cut the 1" strips into 5" pieces.
* You may need to cut up more than one plastic bag to create a small wreath.
STEP 3: MAKING THE WREATH
* Tie the 5" plastic strips, one by one, around the wire circle using a single knot.
* Continue tying the strips onto the wir,e pushing them together as closely as possible, until it is fully covered.
If you have any questions about this project, contact us through the YouTube Video
comments or our Contact Us page. We respond to questions in e-mails and YouTube comments regularly.
STEP 4: EMBELLISHMENTS
* Leave it plain or embellish it to fit the season.
* Optional decorations: glitter, ribbon, bells, small Christmas balls, fake Christmas plant, stickers, buttons, hearts, pine cones, etc.
The holiday wreath is finished and can be hang inside or outside your home. Or given as a gift to a friend or relative.
NOTE: If doing this project with a group of kids, I recommend cutting and bending the hangers ahead of time and allowing the kids to cut the bags and tie.
Other recycling crafts which may be of interest:
How to make plastic bag yarn
How to make T-shirt yarn
How to make a lined denim bag from old jeans
Get supplies for this project from the affiliate links below:
Did you enjoy this project? Please share it with your friends using the sharing buttons.
Follow our site using the follow buttons below to find out about
other fun projects.
Supporting Products and links: Some of the links below may be affiliate links.
We make a small commission on sales through the affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. Thank you in advance
for your purchase and your support! Please see our full Affiliate
Statement for more information.