HOW TO CROCHET THE CHAIN STITCH
The first step in starting a crochet project is to do a set of chain stitches. Learn how to make a chain stitch with this video and the step-by-step instructions.
Click the image below to watch the video in Youtube.
Crochet Chain Stitch Step-by-Step Instructions
- Start by making a slip knot.
- Pass the yarn over the hook from back to front and hook it.
- Draw it through the slip knot sliding the stitch up to the shaft area. This is chain stitch number 1.
- Bring the yarn over the hook again from back to front and hook it.
- Draw it through the chain stitch. You have now completed the second chain stitch.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have the desired number of chain stitch.
Things to remember when making crochet chain stitches:
- As you draw the yarn through, twist the hook slightly so it is easier to get through the stitch.
- Make the chain stitches uniform in size and not too tight.
- When making the chain stitch, slide the stitch up hook shaft before making the next stitch. This will help you make more uniform stitches.
LEARN TO CROCHET SERIES:
Slip Knot: Learn the Slip Knot
Chain Stitch: Learn to Chain Stitch
Single Crochet: Learn to Single Crochet
Double Crochet: Learn to Double Crochet
Split Single Crochet: Learn to Crochet the Split Single Crochet
Turning Chain: Learn the Turning Chain