Learn how to start and anchor the yarn when stitching with plastic canvas.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. We make a small commission on sales through the affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. Thank you in advance for your purchase and your support! Please see our full Affiliate
Statement for more information.
TO START A ROW OR A NEW YARN
* Thread your needle. If you find it difficult threading the needle, watch our quick tip video on a easy threading technique by clicking this link.
* GENERAL RULE: DO NOT KNOT THE YARN.
* From back of canvas, bring the needle up through a hole leaving a tail of about 1 to 1 ½” long on the back of the canvas.
* Hold the tail on the back of the canvas in the stitching direction.
* Start stitching, working the stitches over the tail.
TO FILL UNSTICHED AREA
After stitching one color, sometime an unstitched area must be filled in or stitched with a different color. What do you do? It's simple.
* Flip the canvas to the back.
* Insert the needle and yarn through several stitches close to the area to be stitched.
* Bring needle up from back and stitch.
TO ADD EMBELLISHMENTS
Some designs call for adding embellishments such as French knots, lazy daisies, outlines stitches and other things to the project. How do you anchor the yarn?
* Anchor the yarn in the same manner as for filling unstitched area (see above).
This sample shows how to anchor yarn in area already stitched and how the back of the canvas should look when yarn is anchored properly.
The back of the canvas should look neat with no loose ends.
If these instructions sound confusing, just watch our video by clicking on the video image at the beginning of this article.
Plastic canvas is a fun form of needlework which allows you to make two-dimensional projects such as coasters, magnets, door hangers, wall hangings, keychains and bookmarks. And three-dimensional projects such as tissue box covers, storage boxes, purses and more.
The affiliate links below are books featuring unique plastic canvas projects:
If you have any questions about this project, contact us through the YouTube Video
comments or our Contact Us page. We respond to questions in e-mails and YouTube comments regularly.
Did you enjoy this project? Please share it with your friends using the sharing buttons.
Follow our site using the follow buttons below to find out about
other fun projects.