When I was a young girl, I remember seeing a tissue box topper at my great aunt’s home. I thought it was the most amazing and ingeniously creative idea. She told me that it was a plastic canvas craft, and proceeded to show me how it was made.
For many years, I thought plastic canvas was only used to create tissue box covers! Later it was made obvious that this craft was so versatile. Crafters could make things as complicated or as simple as they wanted!
What are plastic canvas crafts?
Plastic canvas can be purchased at any hobby or craft store. It is a craft material made of lightweight plastic with holes spaced evenly across it.
Plastic canvas is also known as vinyl weave. It is used as a foundation for needlepoint or other work like embroidery. There are a variety of stitches to use with the acrylic or wool knitting yarn that is worked on the plastic canvas. For tutorials and a directory on a variety of plastic canvas stitches, follow the link.
The great thing about plastic canvas crafts is that the finished items can be made three dimensional! The possibilities of things to create with plastic canvas are endless!
Who can do plastic canvas crafts?
Almost anyone can learn the art of plastic canvas crafts! The plastic canvas is made so it holds its rigidity, which makes it much easier than needlework on fabric.
There is a grid on the plastic canvas that ensures even stitches, so young children find this craft simple to do and are very successful. And this makes them want to craft more!!
Parents will love to work this easy craft with their kids. The whole family can get involved! Even teenagers enjoy making plastic canvas crafts, especially when they need a quick weekend project or something to do on a rainy day.
Plastic canvas work can even be taken along on those boring car rides to keep the kids busy and content.
And to top all of this off, it is an inexpensive craft. By using scrap yarn or even yarn found at thrift stores, the cost can be minimal. Needles and the plastic canvas used can be found at a very low price as well.
What can you make with Plastic canvas?
The free plastic canvas patterns below provide a wide variety of projects to create. There are ideas for every age and every occasion!
We’ve included some quick and easy things to make along with projects that are more complex and take more time. The plastic canvas crafts make great gifts too!
Below are some categories of the free plastic canvas patterns. Each category contains many projects to enjoy!
Free Plastic canvas patterns Included on this page
- Tissue box covers- the free plastic tissue box patterns range from floral designs, to crayon covers for kids, and also many holiday designs
- Accessories- free plastic canvas patterns for hair accessories, key fobs, luggage tags, and more
- Basket and Boxes- use the free plastic canvas patterns to make a keepsake box for baby, crafty storage boxes, kids’ totes, and more
- Holiday Themes- there are wonderful patterns for every holiday. Make a gingerbread house or some halloween treat bags. There are baskets for Easter and even a St. Patrick’s Day door hanger. So much more to see in the holiday theme section, so take a look!
- Kitchen items- use the free plastic canvas patterns for coasters, napkin rings, and more
- Outdoor and Gardening- stitch up fun twirlers and whirlers for the garden or even a windsock to decorate your yard
- Purses, Totes and Bags- check out the free plastic canvas patterns for cute lunch bags, clutches, and even a bunny tote for Easter!
- Magnets- create environmental magnets to show your love for the earth or stitch up some summery dessert magnets
- Many more themes- Check out home decor, desk accessories, jewelry, toys and other miscellaneous plastic canvas crafts!
Browse the wonderful free plastic canvas patterns below!
More Categories Below
Click the links below to find more projects in those categories.
Plastic canvas accessory projects.
Plastic canvas desk accessory projects - FREE PROJECTS.
Bookmark pattern with plastic canvas sheets - FREE.
Projects for making baskets and boxes from plastic canvas sheets. Free Projects.
Easter, Halloween and other holidays with plastic canvas.
Accent the home with plastic canvas projects.
Jewelry items made with plastic canvas.
Learn how to make plastic canvas keyrings and zipper pulls.
Coasters, placemats and more in plastic canvas.
Plastic canvas magnet projects.
More plastic canvas projects - FREE.
Outdoor plastic canvas ideas...
Create patriotic theme projects in plastic canvas.
!Loads of hard to find free plastic canvas bag patterns, such as free plastic purse patterns and free plastic canvas tote bag patterns. Contemporary and stylish and sure to please!
Plastic canvas projects to cover tissue boxes.
Toys with plastic canvas.