Is it time to welcome a special little person into the world? For those of us who love to knit, creating one of a kind, cuddle-worthy baby knits is the best way to greet a new baby.
We have put together a wonderful and thorough list of free knitting patterns for the baby in your life.
Whether you are knitting for your own baby or making a special gift, this is the place to find free knitting patterns for baby hats, free baby blanket knitting patterns, and free baby knitting patterns for lovely clothing like sweaters and dresses.
If you are eager to knit something for the baby but need some tips, check out our page for beginning knitters!
Something to Consider
Before you begin knitting your sweet item for the baby, there is something important to think about. Please take washing into consideration!
Your wish may be to make something out of a lovely and soft merino silk blend. Maybe it is some other luxury fiber.
You need to ask yourself this very important question: Will the new mom and dad want to hand wash your lovely gift?
There are beautiful yarns available; I know this and often get caught up with them too. They seem the perfect thing to use to knit your special cuddly and snuggly something for the precious little one.
But I know what will happen, and you know too if you stop to think about it; new parents don’t want to worry about hand washing anything! It will all get thrown into the wash together with everything else for the baby, and then your hard work will be destroyed in the washing machine. So yes, make sure you use a soft baby yarn to create baby’s gift with these free knitting patterns, but you definitely don’t want to get caught up in using fancy yarns that just won’t last.
Although the cashmere or merino/silk blend is nearly irresistible, it is best if you keep it to make something special for yourself. Make sure the baby’s gift can go in the washer and the dryer safely!
Free Knitting Patterns for Baby
The list of free baby patterns that we have for you to explore is long and full of sweet ideas to knit.
Check these out:
- Baby Booties and Socks- the page is loaded with free knitting patterns for something to cozy up those tiny toes. The Baby Janes, patterned after Mary Janes, are so cute!
- Baby Blankets- the variety of blankets gives you so many options from heirloom blankets to knitted quilts and soft and cuddly blankets for everyday use.
- Baby Hats- you are going to love the cute hats we found to cover that tiny head. The bunny hat is perfect for spring! Be sure to check out the nostalgic pixie hat pattern, too!
- Baby Sweaters- there are many free patterns for baby sweaters, and they are all unique. There are many cardigans, even one with a hood, which are so much easier to take on and off of the baby. We even have a long doggy dress pattern that can be used as a sweater with leggings!
- Layettes- The lovely layettes on this page make perfect gifts, especially a gift from Grandma!
- Dresses- The dresses we have for you are amazing. The beautiful lacy dress is perfect for fancy occasions. Check out the cute striped toddler dress too!
- Bibs- Cute and ready for quick clean up, the bib patterns on this page are charming!
Everyone loves knitting for a wee one. We hope you enjoy these free knitting patterns for babies!
Supporting Products and links: Some of the links below may be affiliate links.
We make a small commission on sales through the affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. Thank you in advance
for your purchase and your support! Please see our full Affiliate
Statement for more information.