This video and the written instructions below will explain how to sew a simple, easy doll skirt for an 18 inch doll or American Girl doll.
NO PATTERN IS NECESSARY!
Click the image below to watch the video in Youtube.
WHAT YOU NEED:
Main Fabric – 5” x 22”
Border Fabric – 2 ½” x 22”
Elastic – 10 ½” x ¼” wide
STEP 1: SEWING BORDER ONTO MAIN FABRIC
* Fold border strip in half lengthwise and press. The fabric is now 1 1/4 inch by 22 inches.
* Place the main fabric on the table right side up. Pin border strip along one edge of the main fabric matching raw edges.
* Sew border and main fabric together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
* To help prevent the seam allowance from fraying, finish the edge of the seam with a zigzag stitch.
* Press the border toward main fabric.
STEP 2: MAKING ELASTIC CASING
* Turn fabric at top of skirt under 1/4 inch and press.
* Turn under again 1/2 inch and press.
* Stitch casing in place using a straight stitch along the bottom of the fold.
STEP 3: INSERTING ELASTIC
* Attach a safety pin to one end of the elastic.
* Insert the safety pinned elastic end through the opening of the casing. Use the safety pin to help pull the elastic though the casing.
* IMPORTANT: When the other end of the elastic gets close to the opening of the casing, pin the end of the elastic to keep it from going into the casing.
* Remove safety pin and pin elastic in place.
STEP 4: STITCHING BACK
* With right sides together, stitch back seam using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Zigzag stitch the edge of the seam.
* Press seam.
* Turn right-side out.
The skirt is finished.
The books below from an affiliate may be of interest:
See info on Affiliate links below.
Sew the Contemporary Wardrobe for 18-Inch Dolls
Complete Instructions & Full-Size Patterns for 35 Clothing and Accessory Items
by Joan Hinds
- Published 2002
Affiliate Link to Amazon
Simple & Stylish Patterns for Dolls' Hats & Shoes: For 18-Inch, 14-Inch and 8-Inch Dolls
by Maria Freeman
- Published 2001
Affiliate Link to Amazon
All Dolled Up
Sewing clothes and accessories for girls and their 18-inch doll.
by Joan Hinds, Nancy Zieman
- Published 2010
Sew in Style
Make Your Own Doll Clothes: 22 Projects for 18” Dolls
by Erin Hentzel
- Published 2014
Sew Trendy Fashions & Accessories
Perfect for young sewers honing their skills or for older sewers who like to make doll clothes for kids or grandkids, this guide features trendy and fashionable designs for 18" dolls.
by Chris Malone
- Published 2013
Please be advised that some of the product and other links displayed above may be affiliate links. When you click on links to various
merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Please see our
Affiliate Statement for more information.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
because we publish new crafting videos on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Find us on:
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.