STOP THROWING AWAY OLD JEANS!
Transform old jeans into a useful denim bag.
Use them as unique gift bags or around the house to store items.
Click the image below to watch the video in Youtube.
HOW TO MAKE A DENIM FABRIC BASKET
What you will need is:
* Old Jeans
* Lining Fabric
* Fabric Marking Tool
* Sewing Machine
STEP 1: CUTTING THE JEANS
1. Using a sharp scissors, from the straightest part of the jeans leg cut a piece approximately 11 to 12 inches long.
STEP 2: CUTTING AND SEWING LINING
1. To determine size for the lining, measure the width of the denim piece. Take this measurement times 2 plus 1" for seam allowance. The length of the lining will be the exactly the length of denim the piece. For instance, if the denim piece measures 8 ½ x 11 ½, the lining fabric should be cut 18 (8 ½ + 8 ½ +1) by 11 ½ inches.
2. With right sides of lining fabric together, sew side seam using ½” seam allowance. Sew bottom using ½” seam allowance but leaving about a 4” opening in the middle of the bottom seam. This opening will be used for turning the fabrics.
STEP 3: CREATING BOXED BOTTOM
1. Align the bottom seam and the side seam forming a triangle. Pin in place.
2. With a ruler measure 1” from point of triangle and mark a line with a pencil, pen or fabric marker.
3. Stitch along this line.
4. Cut off excess fabric.
5. Repeat with other side.
STEP 4: SEWING DENIM PIECE
1 Turn denim piece inside out.
2. Sew bottom completely closed using ½” seam allowance.
3. Make a boxed bottom on both sides using the same technique as the lining.
STEP 5: ATTACHING LINING TO DENIM PIECE
1. Turn denim leg right side out.
2. Place the denim bag inside the lining, right sides together. Match the denim boxed bottom up with the lining boxed bottom.
3. Line up the top edges of both pieces and pin in place.
4 Sew around top edge using ½” seam allowance.
STEP 6: TURNING BAG
1. Pull the denim part of the bag through the opening in the lining.
2. Either machine stitch or hand stitch opening closed.
STEP 7: FINISHING UP
1. Push lining into the bag.
2. Iron the top edge of the bag.
3. Fold top of bag over showing part of the lining.
The bag is ready to use!
See info on Affiliate links below.
Scissors, rotary cutters and sharpeners.
Affiliate Link to Sold at Annie's Catalog
A huge selection of sewing scissors are available at Amazon.com.
Affiliate Link to Amazon.com
Please be advised that some of the product and other links displayed above may be affiliate links. When you click on links to various
merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Please see our Affiliate Statement for more information.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
because we publish new crafting videos on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Find us on:
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.