Here is a tutorial on how to make quick, easy and cute burp cloths.
Get some cute fabric and make a bunch for yourself or to give away as a baby gift.
This is an ideal project for a beginner sewer.
Click the image below to watch the video in Youtube.
Soft Flannel Fabric
Low-Loft Cotton Batting (optional)
Pencil or Pen
Basic Sewing Supplies
*Wash and dry the flannel fabric. This will prevent it from shrinking and curling later when it is washed.
STEP 1: CREATE A PATTERN
Width at widest point 8 ½”
Width in middle 7”
* First, cut a piece of paper from a sheet of paper or brown grocery bag that measures 8 ½” x 10”. The 8 1/2" is the width and the 10" in the length of the pattern.
* At the bottom of the paper, place a mark 7” from the left side.
* From the top right corner of the paper, measure down 5” and put a mark.
* Now, make the burp cloth contour by gently make a curve from the 5” mark to the 7" mark.
* Use a dish or old CD to round the two corners at the top of the pattern.
* Cut out the pattern.
* Mark the bottom straight edge of the pattern, "Place on Fold".
STEP 2: CUTTING FABRIC
* Fold the flannel fabric and place the pattern on the fold, pin and cut out.
*Cut out the second flannel piece in the same manner.
* You now have two flannel pieces.
* If you want the burp cloth more absorbent, cut a piece of cotton batting in the same manner as the flannel pieces.
STEP 3: SEW THE BURP CLOTH
* Put the two flannel pieces right sides together. If using batting, place it on the work surface and put flannel pieces on top.
* Pin all the layers together.
* Stitch the layers together using a ½” seam allowance but leave a 4” opening in the middle of the straight edge. This opening will be used to turn the burp cloth right side out.
* After stitching, clip the curves.
* Turn the burp cloth right side out through the opening.
* Press the burp cloth.
STEP 4: TOP STITCHING
* Turn under the raw edges of the opening, pin and press.
* Topstitch all the way around the burp cloth about ¼” from the edge.
The burp cloth is finished. This easy project takes about a half hour to complete.
A baby gift or baby shower gift suggestion, make a few burp cloths, fold and tie with a cute ribbon.
For supplies needed to make burp cloths, click the affiliate links below:
See info on Affiliate links below.
Please be advised that some of the product and other links displayed above may be affiliate links. When you click on links to various
merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Please see our Affiliate Statement for more information.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
because we publish new crafting videos on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Find us on:
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.