Learn how to make a red, white and blue patriotic flag coaster using plastic canvas with this tutorial.
Great decorating idea for Fourth of July and summer picnics.
Click the image below to watch the video in Youtube.
WHAT YOU NEED
* 7 mesh plastic canvas
* red yarn
* white yarn
* blue yarn
* Tapestry needle
STEP 1: CUTTING & OUTLINING BLUE AREA
* Cut out a square of 7 mesh plastic canvas – 27 holes x 27 holes
* Outline the blue area – on second row, left-hand side, count over 13 holes and using continental stitch cover the 14th thread – stitch 10 down and then stitch across horizontally
The blue outlined area should look like this.
STEP 2: MAKE HEART
* To start the heart, next to vertical blue line count down 4 holes and then across 4 holes. This is the starting point for stitch the heart.
* Using red yarn and the continental stitch, stitch the heart as follows:
Row 1 - Stitch 2 threads, skip one thread, stitch 2 threads
Row 2 - Stitch 7
Row 3 - Stitch 7
Row 4 - Stitch 5
Row 5 - Stitch 3
Row 6 - Stitch 1
See photo below how the heart should look.
STEP 3: FILL IN BLUE AREA
* Using blue yarn, completely fill in the blue area using the continental stitch.
STEP 4: MAKE STRIPES
* With red yarn stitch the first stripe, at the top, using the Slanted Gobelin Stitch.
* After finishing the first stripe, make a white stripe using the Slanted Gobelin stitch.
* Continue making stripes alternating colors.
For a tutorial on how to stitch the Slanted Gobelin Stitch, watch our YouTube video by clicking this link.
STEP 5: FINISHING
* With blue yarn use the overcast stitch around the entire outside of the coaster.
* Finish the coaster by gluing cork or felt on the back of the coaster.
* If you are not sure how to finish the coaster using a cork, watch our video tutorial by
clicking this link.
Get plastic canvas supplies and plastic canvas books from the affiliate links below:
See info on Affiliate links below.
Please be advised that some of the product and other links displayed above may be affiliate links. When you click on links to various
merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Please see our
Affiliate Statement for more information.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
because we publish new crafting videos on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Find us on:
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.