Want a craft idea which will keep your child busy for hours? Teach them to weave.
Learn how to weave on a loom by watching this video and reading the written instruction below the video.
We are using a Melissa & Doug Wooden Multi-Craft Loom. The easy-to-adjust frame allows you to make a variety of projects including a mug rug, a scarf, a draw string pouch and a carry-all bag.
This video will show assembled loom, dowel placement, how to string the loom, how to weave, how to add more yarn and how to finish a mug rug. The basic technique is the same for all projects.
MUG RUG (COASTER) INSTRUCTIONS
LOOM ASSEMBLY AND DOWEL PLACEMENT
1. Assemble loom according to manufacturers instructions.
2. Position the horizontal bar in bottom and middle notches.
3. Place dowels in the first and second position.
STRINGING THE LOOM
1. Tie one end of the yarn to the top of the left side dowel above the bar.
2. Insert the yarn down and up through the notches filling the weaving area from left to right.
3. After covering the weaving area with vertical strand, tie the yarn to the top of the right side dowel above the bar.
1. Take a good length of yarn, tie one end to the needle and then tie the other end of the yarn to the bottom of the right side dowel. Note: In the video, I only tied it to the dowel but later I discover it is better to tie it around the dowel and the yarn.
2. Using the needle, start weaving behind one vertical strand and in front of the next vertical strand, behind, in front, behind, in front, etc. Continue weaving until you get to the end of the row.
3. At the end of the row, loop the yarn around the dowel and the last vertical strand.
4. Pull the yarn a little snug but not too tight.
5. Start weaving the next row by going behind the strands you weaved in front previously. And in front of the strands you weaved behind.
6. As you weave, gently push down the rows with your fingers.
HOW TO ATTACH MORE YARN
1. Remove yarn from the needle by untying the knot or cutting the yarn from the needle.
2. Get the new length of yarn.
3. Use a square knot, tie the two pieces of yarn together.
4. Tie the other end of the yarn to the needle.
5. Begin weaving again. Tuck and weave the short knotted ends in.
6. Continue weaving until project is desired size, adding more yarn as needed.
FINISHING THE PROJECT
1. Remove the dowels.
2. Unhook the top loops.
3. Cut the loops and then double knot one strand of yarn with the strand of yarn next to it.
4. Repeat #3 with the bottom loops.
5. Trim the ends of the yarn evenly.
6. Trim any yarn sticking out from where the yarn was knotted.
The mug rug is ready to use with your favorite beverage.
Examples of Loom Projects - Mug Rug & Drawstring Pouch
Once you know how to weave with the loom, you can use it to weave with ribbon, strips of fabric, vines and much, much more. Kids can get very creative.
This is an excellent rainy day project.
Kid's will enjoy making woven gifts for family and friends.
Get your own loom from the affiliate link below:
Did you enjoy this project? Please share it with your friends using the sharing buttons.
Follow our site using the follow buttons below to find out about
other fun projects.
Supporting Products and links are below.
You can support our site by making a purchase from the affiliate links shown below. We make a small commission on sales
through the affiliate links, at no extra cost to you. Your purchases help us to keep making more videos and projects like this one. Thank you in advance
for your purchase and your support!
See info on Affiliate links below.
Includes adjustable wooden loom, oversize wooden needle, craft materials, illustrated design booklet, 91 yards (83 m) of rainbow yarn. Instructions for making four projects.
Affiliate Link to Amazon.com
Please be advised that some of the product and other links displayed above may be affiliate links. When you click on links to various
merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Please see our Affiliate Statement for more information.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Subscribe To our YouTube channel
because we publish New crafting videos On regularly.
Find us On:
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.