A fun way to recycle plastic grocery bags is to make a holiday wreath.
You can make this wreath for different holidays just by using different colored plastic bags.
This is a wonderful project for elementary to middle school aged kids. See the note below if doing this project with a group of kids.
Get started by watching the video and reading the instructions below:
Click the image below to watch the video in Youtube.
THINGS YOU WILL NEED:
Wire Clothes Hanger
Wire Cutter Pliers
Electrical Tape or Duct Tape
STEP 1: MAKING WIRE FORM
* Using the wire cutters, cut straight bottom part off the hanger.
* Bend the straight wire to form a circle by crossing over the wire ends and twisting the two ends together. You may need a plier to twist it. Don't worry if the circle is not perfect.
* After twisting, bend the twisted end down to form a hook and cover the hook with tape to prevent anyone from getting hurt on the hook.
STEP 2: MAKING PLASTIC BAG STRIPS
* Place a plastic bag on the work surface and flatten it. Fold the bag in half and then fold it in half again.
* With the scissor, cut off the bottom and handles of the bag.
* Then cut the bag into 1" wide strips.
* Cut the 1" strips into 5" pieces.
* You may need to cut up more than one plastic bag to create a small wreath.
STEP 3: MAKING THE WREATH
* Continue tying the strips onto the wir,e pushing them together as closely as possible, until it is fully covered.
* Tie the 5" plastic strips, one by one, around the wire circle using a single knot.
STEP 4: EMBELLISHMENTS
* Optional decorations: glitter, ribbon, bells, small Christmas balls, fake Christmas plant, stickers, buttons, hearts, pine cones, etc.
* Leave it plain or embellish it to fit the season.
The holiday wreath is finished and can be hang inside or outside your home. Or given as a gift to a friend or relative.
NOTE: If doing this project with a group of kids, I recommend cutting and bending the hangers ahead of time and allowing the kids to cut the bags and tie.
Other recycling crafts which may be of interest:
How to make plastic bag yarn
How to make T-shirt yarn
How to make a lined denim bag from old jeans
Get supplies for this project from the affiliate links below:
See info on Affiliate links below.
Colorful duct tape products in various colors and patterns for making duct tape projects.
Affiliate Link to Amazon.com
Ideal for cutting a wide variety of materials including paper, cardboard, tape and much more.
Affiliate Link to Amazon.com
Please be advised that some of the product and other links displayed above may be affiliate links. When you click on links to various
merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Please see our Affiliate Statement for more information.
Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
because we publish new crafting videos on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Find us on:
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.