With this video tutorial learn how to sew a French seam. A French seam gives a project a neat, professional-looking finish with no raw edges.
Note: For this demonstration we are assuming the project calls for a 5/8" seam allowance.
- With wrong sides of fabric together, sew a seam 1/4" from the raw edge, back-tacking at beginning and end.
- Open layers and press the seam allowance to one side. DO NOT PRESS THE SEAM OPEN.
- Fold material on the seam line with right sides together. Press flat the folded edge.
- Stitch another seam at 3/8" from the fold.
- Press the seam to one side and the French seam is finished.
If you have any questions about this project, you can post them as comments on the Youtube Video above or through our "Contact Us" page.